Epass, Spass and Work Permit: Working in Singapore for Filipinos

A lot of people asked me the difference between having epass, spass and work permit. Again, I am not an expert on this field and I am just really trying to help out those who are looking for answers and those who are interested to work in Singapore.

I already wrote about finding work in Singapore, you can check this link: Guide on How to Find Work in Singapore this is the first step! 

Finally, you went for your job interview then you got accepted, what is the next step? 

This entry would be about the difference between the permits, what are the requirements, how to apply it and how long do you usually need to wait.

Mostly, your HR will be the one to process all your papers, you just need to submit neccessary documents such as diploma, TOR, your previous pass (if you have one), resume etc.

But some small companies do not have a human resource department and is not knowledgeable on processing pass for foreigners hence the reason why there are immigration experts. I tried Paul Hype before and my pass got approved with their help. The only downside is that you have to pay about $800- $1500 for these companies (shouldered by you or your company) to help you process your papers.

Trust me, its quite hard to process your pass alone because MOM is really strict about it.

Employment Pass

Foreigners in general need quota  to be able to work in Singapore but for Epass the company doesn’t need quota meaning it is easier for the company to get a foreigner under employment pass as long as they are willing to pay $3,600 and more.

Who can apply for epass: (according to MOM), you must have:

  • a job offer in Singapore.
  • Work in a managerial, executive or specialised job.
  • Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (more experienced candidates need higher salaries).
  • Have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills

This Assessment Tool will be your bestfriend along the way. This is actually quite accurate, before applying for EP you must try this one first to save you time.

Note on salaries:

  • Young graduates from good institutions can qualify if they earn at least $3,600.
  • Older, more experienced candidates need higher salaries to qualify.

For Filipinos, I just heard from a friend who is working in MOM that they usually choose 3 schools every year to be their top priority.

The schools vary every year. 2 years ago, it was DLSU, CSB and ADMU.

But if you are 24 and above, you must have a really high salary $4,000 and more regardless of your school. Again, you must always check the MOM assessment tool.


S-pass is for mid- skilled foreign employees. For this type of pass, there is a quota and levy to be paid by the employer.

Based from the MOM website, S-pass holders should meet this criteria:

  • Fixed monthly salary of at least $2,200. The salary should reflect work experience. Older, more experienced applicants need higher salaries to qualify.
  • A degree or diploma. We may consider technical certificates, such as courses for qualified technicians or specialists. The certification should include at least 1 year of full-time study.
  • Years of relevant work experience.

Again, you must always check the self-assessment tool for reference. This is most likely 80-90% accurate (but everything still depends on MOM).

Work Permit

There are different types of work permit. I do not have any knowledge about this although I am aware that Filipinos are now allowed to get a work permit not just as a domestic helper but also for construction or service sector as long as the company has quota and willing to pay such levy required by the government.

How to Apply for Work Permit?

There are a lot of agencies both in the Philippines and Singapore who process work work permits. Some agencies would require you to pay immediately some would be by salary deduction.

Most of these agencies will process all the papers for you but it is also your right to know the process and the rules.

Please know that MOM is very strict with work permit hence the reason why most work permit holders go through agencies.

Usually as long as you comply with all the requirements and your health is good, there won’t be a problem with the approval of your pass. Below is the list of agencies in Singapore that might help. Let me know if you have other suggestions.


There are about hundreds of opening just under POEA, you can double check by clicking this link. JOBS IN SINGAPORE

I’ll try my best to answer your questions and again I am not affliated to any agencies or any companies related to hiring hence, I am just trying to help since I received so many emails from my last post about finding a job in Singapore.

Happy Independence Day!







One thought on “Epass, Spass and Work Permit: Working in Singapore for Filipinos

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s